Pages

Friday, July 20, 2012

Video Reflection: How It's Made - Packaging


These videos of how packagings are made really opened my eyes to a whole new world. I knew that packagings are produced in factories at an ultraspeed, but what I didn't know was how complex the process really is.

For the first video, about Corrogated Cardboard; I always thought they were the easiest to make- when in reality they require no less than 4 stages, which include pressing with rollers, applying glue with water and starch and the printing process which requires several different rollers applying different colorings to each part of the cardboard. The one that surprised me most being the printing, since I always thought the printing would be done all at once per paper instead of being divided into several different stages.

The process of how packaging tubes are made, although interesting, doesn't really excite me as much as the others since I've watched a similar video before.

 On how to make Tetra Pak Containers, from the video I found out that there are 3 layers on each container, with them being plastic layer, paperboard and a foil- with the plastic layer making it leak-proof. One thing that concerns me was the manual quality control after printing, which shows the worker being exposed to a constant on/off light without him wearing any eye protection.

The makings of Glass and Plastic Bottles & Jars excite me as well, as who knew that for both, the inital form would just be a blob, for both but then as for plastic it's stretched and made into a bigger form, and with glass with it being molded.

As for all of them (including making of Aluminium Cans), it amazes me that there is actually a Cleaning process done near the finish- as I never thought there was 1 in the first place.

Overall, these videos really helped me learned as an industrial designer, the technical process of how packagings are formed. It also gave me an insight of just how much machine and manual labor plays a part in making these packagings.

Click here to see the videos!

No comments:

Post a Comment